Death as a Friend (1851)
by Alfred Rethel (Germany, 1816-1859)
Alfred Rethel's Death of a Strangler is said to have so haunted his contemporaries and disturbed their dreams that he created this work to depict a more comforting image of Death. The old bell ringer had tolled many a passing, but now Death works the bell ropes to mark the new day. Death came a long way to do his job, for he wears the cockle shell of a pilgrim. The old man seems to have gone in peace, surrounded by symbols of his faith and on his belt his set of keys; a symbol of order.
Square Framed Canvas
Gallery quality canvas print displays vibrant artwork that is built to last. Printed with HP Latex Inks that are fade resistant. Inks are water based and solvent free so rest assured there are no harsh chemicals in your home. Assembled with thick wood frame and glued wood core stretcher bars. All canvas prints are wrapped and shipped in fitted packaging
- Ready To Hang - Mounting hardware comes attached.
- Leveling Bumpers Included - For wall protection.
- Semi-Gloss Print - Increased vibrancy of artwork.
- Beveled Wood Stretch Bars - Make frame less noticeable on front of canvas.
- Industrial Strength Staples - Ensure a tight fit that is sure to last.
- Sizes Reference the Canvas Inside the Frame.